Sammy J is an award-winning comedian, author and musician. A proud nerd, he abandoned his law degree to travel the world and sing funny songs for a living. You may have seen him on TV, at a festival, or as one half of the man/puppet duo Sammy J & Randy.
Sammy J is an award-winning comedian, author and musician. A proud nerd, he abandoned his law degree to travel the world and sing funny songs for a living. You may have seen him on TV, at a festival, or as one half of the man/puppet duo Sammy J & Randy. As a solo act, Sammy J won the Best Newcomer award at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. He has since performed in Edinburgh, Montreal, and every major Australian comedy festival. His album “Skinny Man, Modern World” received an ARIA nomination for Best Comedy Release, and he gained a national following with his satirical take on the 2016 Federal Election, “Sammy J’s Playground Politics”. His recent solo show, “Hero Complex”, won Best Comedy at the Melbourne Fringe Festival and was nominated for a Helpmann Award in 2017.
Collaborating with Heath McIvor, “Sammy J & Randy” received the Barry Award for Most Outstanding Show at the 2010 Melbourne Comedy Festival. Their acclaimed live shows have taken them from the Sydney Opera House to London’s West End, and in 2015 they were handpicked by Neil Patrick Harris to appear in his Montreal Gala. Their musical sitcom, “Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane”, premiered on ABC TV in 2015 before launching in the USA & Netflix UK, and was nominated for three AACTA awards. As a composer, Sammy J has written countless comedy songs for stage and screen, and scored the incidental music for “Ricketts Lane” and “Sammy J’s Playground Politics”.
Away from the comedy world, Sammy J’s MC skills have seen him host award shows, interview politicians, and inject much-needed humour into corporate events. He regularly runs workshops in schools, and his debut middle-grade novel, “The Long Class Goodnight”, was released in 2018. Sammy J is a proud Ambassador for Big Brothers Big Sisters and Oxfam and has traveled to South Africa and PNG to witness their work firsthand. Sammy J’s biggest project remains unfinished. In 2008, he started “The 50 Year Show” a comedy spectacular that will run every five years until 2058. The show continued in Melbourne in 2018. In 2019, Sammy brings his hit ABC TV characters to the stage in his new show ‘Sammy J’s Major Party.’ Currently, Sammy’s satirical sketches can be seen every Thursday night on the ABC.
Awards & Nominations
- NOMINEE Comedy Production of the Year – 2018 Screen Producers Australia (Sammy J)
- NOMINEE Best Comedy Performer – 2017 Helpmann Awards (Hero Complex)
- NOMINEE Best Comedy – 2017 Melbourne Comedy Festival (Hero Complex)
- NOMINEE Barry Award – 2017 Melbourne Comedy Festival (Hero Complex)
- WINNER Best Comedy – 2016 Melbourne Fringe (Hero Complex)
- NOMINEE AACTA for Best Comedy Show (Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane, ABC TV)
- NOMINEE ARIA for Best Comedy Release 2012, 2013, 2015
- WINNER AWGIE Award for Best Sketch or Light Entertainment Writing 2014 (Wednesday Night Fever, ABC TV)
- WINNER Barry Award for Most Outstanding Show – 2010 Melbourne Comedy Festival (with Randy)
- WINNER The Age Critics’ Award Winner – 2008 Melbourne Comedy Festival (with Randy)
- NOMINEE Barry Award – 2008 Melbourne Comedy Festival (with Randy)
- NOMINEE Best Emerging Cabaret Artiste 2007 Green Room Awards
- WINNER Best Newcomer Award – 2006 Melbourne Comedy Festival
Gleefully raucous, meticulously crazy, charmingly revolting, achingly funnyBeat Magazine, Melbourne
Whiplash smart and laugh out loud funny, he is already a Fringe legendThe Herald, Edinburgh
Sammy J’s narratives are rich in imagery and wordplay, and his command of language and cadence is superbSydney Morning Herald
A beautiful show from an endlessly creative talentTime Out, London
How do you prefer your comedy? Straight stand-up, musical, storytelling, lighthearted or heartfelt? Why not just have it all? Sammy J has something for everyone in his show.”Chortle, UK